Zoom for big photo
A soil amendment for dry, acidic and nutrient poor soils.
Biochar is biomass (any organic material such as wood) that is produced (pyrolysis) in an oxygen-free environment. At 350°C, all the non-carbon elements in the biomass evaporate. The only solid residue is carbon (charcoal).When viewed under a microscope, one sees that the carbon looks like a sponge with millions of "chambers". The surface of the walls of 1 gram biochar is 50 to 500 m² (as large as 2 tennis courts).This porous structure and high specific surface area gives it the ability to attract and retain water and water-soluble nutrients (hygroscopic).
- Increase water retention in the soil up to 200% (Reduce irrigation requirements)
- Improve the quality of soil water
- Reduce soil acidity
- Increase cat-ion exchange capacity in soils
- Reduce the leaching of soluble nutrients (Reduce fertilizer requirements)
- Reduce the leaching of E-coli through sandy soils
- Improve the habitat for beneficial micro-organisms (Because it remains in the soil for long, the organisms that have settled into the soil do not perish easily when there is drought or heat stress)
- Provide protection against some foliar and soil-borne diseases
- Improve the health of the plants
- Planters/pots: Add 5% biochar to planting mix. 1 teaspoon per pot. Apply as close to the roots of the plants as possible
- Garden beds: 100 gram per square meter, work into soil
- Loosen lawn first and then add 10 ml per square meter
- Add biochar to compost heap
This green container is not pure biochar, but a mixture of biochar (33.3%) + vermicast (33.3%) cow manure (33.3%) = 5 times better than ordinary compost.
| Volume|| 1 litre|
| Material|| Plastic container|
| Shelf life|| 1 year|
Buy 1 for R 25 each. Total = R 25
Buy 2 for R 22 each. Total = R 44
Buy 5 for R 18 each. Total = R 90
Buy 10 for R 16 each. Total = R 160
Prices include VAT and insurance.
| Shipping method|| Number of items|| Cost|
| Collect from South Africa, Pretoria, Sunnyside East|| any|| R00|
| Courier Fastway to big cities, delivery 2-3 days|| 1|| R55|
| Courier Fastway to big cities, delivery 2-3 days|| 1 to 4|| R63|
| SA post office to a town beyond 30 km from big cities, delivery 5-7 days|| 1 to 2|| R75|
| SA post office to a town beyond 30 km from big cities, delivery 5-7 days|| 3 to 4|| R95|
Refunds / Returns
Buy or make a free enquiry
- Item must be shipped back within 7 calendar days of receipt
- Buyer must advise of intention to return the item before shipping, with proof of payment
- Item must be returned unused, in original condition (no tears / breakage / scratches / marks / stains)
- Item must be returned with its original packaging
- Buyer pays the shipping costs to return the product to the seller. Seller pays the shipping costs to resend a new product to the buyer
- Refund / replacement will be processed within 7 business days after the item has been received by the seller
This page has been updated on the 2019-10-06.